A shinobi or ninja was a mercenary in feudal Japan. The first shinobi appeared in writings in the 15th century Sengoku Period (1467 - 1600). although there are many indications and proofs that Ninjas existed earlier and only in the Sengoku Period did their existence become known to the public.
The blade is hand-forged from carbon steel and traditionally tempered with clay. Each fitting is made of black iron and has a worn look.
The ornate tsuba depicts the kuji-kiri (hand gestures used to direct energy) used by the mystical ninja. The tsuka has a black synthetic leather winding (Iso) and the tsuka-ito is made of durable black synthetic leather. Saya has a smooth black finish with demonic heads that act as sockets for sageo and intricate kojiri.
- Differentially hardened
- Decorated tsuba
- Blade material: forged 1566 high carbon steel
- Total length: approx. 87.6 cm
- Blade length: approx. 57.8 cm
- Handle length: approx. 26 cm
- Weight: approx. 851g
- Center of gravity: approx. 11.4 cm in front of the guard
- Width of the blade on the guard: approx. 2.9 cm
- Blade width at the top: approx. 2.2 cm
- Thickness of the blade on the guard: approx. 7 mm
- Blade thickness at the top: approx. 6 mm